Personnel wishing to travel over the coming months will need to ensure that they keep themselves updated with any changes to the travel requirements for any country to which they visit or transit through, in addition you should remain alert to the fact that things can change at very short notice whilst you are away. Be vigilant and check the relevant countries COVID travel website to keep on top of the changes. You MUST check the requirements in the Country you are travelling to, any countries you are transiting through and of course what is required in reverse to get back into Belgium. Below is some useful information relating to travel and COVID testing facilities in Belgium. A Travel Guidance, which includes links to the different country websites, can also be found on EJSU Net which has a check list for travel.
Before travelling ensure you have downloaded your COVID Vaccination Certificate. To obtain your COVID-19 vaccination status certificate, you can create an NHS.uk online logon at https://www.coronavirus-record.service.nhs.uk and the certificate will be available here following data transfer for those who have received their vaccination through the UK Medical Centre. Those who have obtained their vaccination through SHAPE or HN should use the HN COVIDSafe app.
Travel through EU (this does not cover UK)
- You are advised to check the ‘reopen EU’ website for the most up to date information. Use the tool-travel Tab, input departure country, destination country and add any transit countries then hit GO! You will then get the most up to date information for the information you have entered.
Travel to UK
Testing on departure from Belgium
Rapid Antigen Testing
Antigen test in Soignies cost €16.85
- Results within 2 – 4 hrs in English by email
- Where : Le Tilleriau – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chaussée de Braine 49, 7060 Soignies
- See attached Antigen Test pre-travel CHR comments.
When : Mon – Fri 07.30 to 18.00. Sat 08.00 to 12.00
Brussels Airport. Appointments should be booked in advance and you can register online. Open from 0330 until midnight daily for testing but the Call Centre is open Monday to Sunday 08:00 until 22.00 on +32 (0) 78 48 58 26.
Tests available are:
- €67 for a standard PCR test – results available within 24 hours.
- €135 for the PCR rapid test – results depend on when the test was taken ranging between 4-6 hrs.
- €47.4 for an antigen test – results available within 50 minutes after the test was taken.
PCR Test without NN/Dr prescription
- Location : HORNU , Route de Mons, 230 – Laboratoire LIMS
- Entrance via the Institute Medical Specialise ‘s carpark (IMS Clinic), opposite to CORA Shopping. No appointment but less crowded than hospital.
- Open : Mon to Fri : 09.00 – 17.00 and Sat 08.00 – 10.00
- Remarks : fill out the document they give you with the mobile nr (test result sent on first), email address, home address in BE, travel date, mention URGENT to get the test result asap (between 24 and 48 hrs).
- No prescription, no BE National Number required but Passport and ID, and for ease, request a bill to be sent by email.
- MYSYNLAB. https://mysynlab.synlab.be/en/patient/rendez-vous-centre the attached pdf give a few address for the Brussels area, an appointment can be booked online (all in English) Passport number and travel date/destination details will be required, we advise you request an email bill. Timings and contact details are on the attached under (Synlab) – Uccle.
- CH Epicura. (see attachments) For travel out of Belgium without prescription and without appointment:
- -From Monday to Friday:
- Labo, site Ath: from 12.00 to 16.00
- Labo, site Baudour: from 12.00 to 15.00
- Labo, site Hornu: from 12.00 to 18.00
- -On Saturday:
- Labo, site Ath: from 08.00 to 10.00
- Labo, site Baudour: from 08.00 to 10.00
- Labo, site Hornu: from 08.00 to 10.00
PCR Test with Dr’s prescription
- Ambroise Pare Mons : Appointment 065/41 31 01
- Doctor Prescription required/ Passport ID payment at the desk at the main Entrance.
- Traveller need to request 5 labels with their details with a barcode and one label without.
- Open : Mon to Fri : 08 – 15.00 Go down to level 0, follow “Pre Op” sign , Covid test done in room 11 and 12 .
- Le Tillerau Lab Soignies: No appointment necessary. Open Mon-Fri 0730 to 1800 and Sat 0800 to 1200 – results within 24 hrs if not the same day.
- Passport/ID required.
- Travel documentation is to be filled out with the correct travel dates/times etc.
- Full correct address, email, phone number required for billing purposes. Payment is to be made by card before testing – cash is not accepted.
- Results are sent within 24-48 hrs by text message.
Chaussée de Braine 49, 7060 Soignies
The UK medical centre can help with a prescription for your private use if you cannot access testing without one. Our experience, however, is that tests ordered in this way may take time to come back and the medical centre has no direct access to the results.
Return to Belgium
- Fill out a Passenger Locator Form in accordance with the guidance here.
- Check the Belgium rules here for travel back after travel.
- The Colour codes by country will tell you what colour the country is from which you have travelled or transited through.
- The requirements for testing and quarantine is detailed here for your return to Belgium.
- Complete the Access to SHAPE form (using the information submitted on your PLF) and submit to SHAPEUKNMR-RegistryGrpMailbox@mod.gov.uk on your return to Belgium.
- Quarantine until you have confirmation on your required actions from the HN and avoid mixing with other members of the Community until you have received your returned Access to SHAPE form giving you the date you enter SHAPE.
Note: For those who have been assigned to SHAPE you are considered a ‘Resident’ and should be in receipt of a Protocol ID, or if not yet received, a SOFA stamp from the NSE. If you have not yet applied for a Protocol ID you should do it immediately, this is your proof of residency in Belgium (it is not mandatory for SPs but is strongly advised).
On your return to Belgium you may be required to have a negative test before travel, quarantine on arrival and/or undertake mandatory testing. Always check the requirements before you travel. If you are required to quarantine/test then you will receive a code based on the PLF completion, this code is your ‘prescription’ to get a test and you MUST follow HN rule.
Testing Facilities for those with an SMS
WITH NATIONAL NUMBER
Those personnel who have been issued their National Number (NN) are strongly advised to book an appointment online for the testing facility of choice, provide your mobile number to aid the speed in which your receive your results. You will not have a National Number if you are not in receipt of your Protocol ID!
- A map of all testing centres can be found here, click the marker and it will tell you the address and opening hours of that facility.
- You can book an appointment here for the testing centre of your choice. Do not use this if you do not have your NN.
WITHOUT A NATIONAL NUMBER
If you haven’t received your NN yet, or you have just arrived, you should attend one of the drive through facilities only, be prepared for a delay if the queues are long. Labs that have been used by our personnel are shown below:
- Ambroise Pare. Park at stadium and walk through.
- Binche. Drive through only
- CH Epicura. (see attachments) For return to Belgium with an SMS from a passenger locator form:
- Labo Epicura Ath
– Only without symptoms
– Monday to Friday from 11.00 to 16.00
– Without appointment
– Go to the consultation registration desk
· Labo Epicura Hornu – Drive through only
– Only without symptoms
– Mon-Tue-Thu-Fri from 11.00 to 13.00
– With appointment Tel: 078 150 170
– Go to the consultation registration desk
- St Vincent Hospital, Soignies, – Drive through only.
- Only without symptoms
- Monday to Saturday from 1000-1200
On SHAPE Testing
Symptoms. UK personnel with symptoms of COVID should phone the UK practice to make an appointment for telephone call then clinical review and testing in the ARC at the end of the facility.
Mission essential (duty) travel. The US team have been conducting testing for mission essential travel across SHAPE. The test facility is now at the white ‘ARC’ building at the end of the healthcare facility and results are obtained from the records desk in the main building. A certificate confirming mission essential travel is required and may be obtained from EJSU COVID Ops or NMR’s Registry. The volume of testing and prioritisation of those with symptoms now means that asymptomatic travel testing can take a minimum of 24 hours to turn around. It cannot be relied upon for same day travel.
Please also consider using a rapid antigen test when you have confirmed what the border requirement is for your journey. These are quicker, more readily available and lower cost and reduce the pressure on the US lab.
Those who have Innova lateral flow tests supplied to them by EJSU, who are undertaking a duty journey, can arrange medical supervision of the test in designated appointment with UK staff via the front desk. Alternatively host nation antigen tests in designated centres are now well-priced, local and readily available.