European Joint Support Unit

European Joint Support Unit



EJSU endeavors, where possible, to provide the levels of support to the standard expected in the UK to those personnel who are assigned within the EJSU AOR. However, in some cases it is not available, practical or affordable to provide the same level of support and it is incumbent upon individual Service Personnel to check whether their needs can be met in their proposed assignment area. Service Personnel considering assignments into the EJSU AOR are required to declare any special needs and personal circumstances to both the manning authorities and the HR administrators so that an assessment can be made regarding their supportability. Children with SEN should be assessed and registered with CEAS.

Before completing any paperwork or returns please ensure you have read and understood the information below

What is the Service Person responsible for?
DSCOM FamSec Clearance

Declaring and registering any special needs (medical, educational, welfare or accommodation) for themselves and/or their Dependants, with the relevant authorities in accordance with Joint and Single Service Policy (Paragraph 6 a-u). Failure to do so may result in either the whole family or the Dependants being returned to the UK at the expense of the SP.

Ensuring that both they and their Dependants are medically and dentally fit for their overseas assignment. Also, that they are medically supportable in country as confirmed via the Medical Supportability Process.

That they have secured a school place for their child and have secured an Educational Clearance Certificate for each child between 0-18.

Maintaining a valid UK and NATO personnel SC. In the first instance SP should contact your current unit for any advice regarding your SC, to initiate a clearance renewal application and to obtain a NATO personnel security clearance certificate prior to your arrival. can be contacted for any advice.

Dependants and Accompanied Status

Dependants Status

Dependant status is afforded to either a member of the immediate family as defined in JSP 752 Ch 1 Sec 2 Para 01.0230 or a child as defined in Para 01.0208.  Before travel to the assignment location, Service Personnel should seek advice from the EJSU NSE to confirm dependant status particularly where proposed accompanying family members fall outside the bounds of JSP 752.  This will facilitate early engagement with Host Nation (HN) in confirming that status or provide further advice in meeting HN entry requirements.

Non-EEA Dependants

All Non-EEA Dependants must be in possession of a valid UK Leave To Enter (LTE) or Leave To Remain (LTR) visa for the purposes of acquiring settlement in the UK before they can reside in an EJSU AOR location. Where the Dependant also requires a Host Nation visa to reside in an EJSU supported location, the DSCOM FamSec will refer the SP to the MOD Visa Team to obtain the required visa. The DSCOM FamSec will not book onward travel to a new location without the required visa(s) in place. Failure to enter AOR without first transiting to the UK to obtain the required UK and host nation visas with the intention of residing as an EJSU supported Dependant, may lead to Dependant status being refused and the matter being referred to the local authorities and a subsequent repatriation to Country of Origin at own expense. The Army Families Federation provides advice on obtaining UK visas.

Advise on UK Visas and immigration

Army Families Federation

Foreign & Commonwealth Specialist From Civ e-mail:

Dependant Employment

Employment opportunities for Dependant spouses/civil partners are limited in EJSU supported locations. Language barriers mean that only a small number of posts within the UK Support Organisations are available. Obtaining employment in the local economy may mean losing status under the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) and being required to pay taxes. Personnel should check with Head of NSE for location specific information.


Parents should be aware that local restrictions may exist on obtaining work permits for nannies and au pairs. Early advice should be sought from NSEs regarding the local requirements.

Travel on Assignment to EJSU AOR

Authority to travel. All accompanied personnel travelling on assignment to overseas posts are required to complete and submit an FMov 564E Application for family travel to the DSCOM FamSec regardless of whether they are booking travel through Service sources or travelling independently. It is the responsibility of the losing unit to book travel for unaccompanied SP. Advice can be sourced from DSCOM FamSec and their contact details are contained in Annex C on the options available where no trooper flight exists. Personnel in NW Europe can elect to drive at public expense and standard class ferry/Eurotunnel should be booked through current unit admin who can also advise on Subsistence.

Shipping of Car at Public Expense for Service Personnel Receiving SSLOA

SP receiving Small Stations Local Overseas Allowance are entitled to the conveyance at public expense of one car to and from Overseas at the start and end of their assignment10. The car will be moved to and from the Small Station by the MOD GRMS contractor. Details of how this is done, and the application forms may be obtained via GRMS section, MSS Division, MOD Abbey Wood. Civ +44 1173 328 556. Personnel can also elect to drive to these locations utilising Privately Arranged Passage (PAP) and further advice can be sought from the Families Section.


The intent of Pre-assignment recces is to assist SP who are assigned to a singleton appointment and/or a remote location and are to be by exception only where there is no firm base support. Where it is considered justifiable by CO EJSU authority may be given for a pre-assignment recce visit. For those that do not fall under the EJSU budget, subsequently authorisation by the single Service two star Director Resources is required and further Information regarding this can be found in 2016DIN01-083 Pre-Assignment Recce Visits and JSP 75212. In these circumstances, HoL can assist getting these authorisations via individual budget holders.


Direction and Guidance

Direction on childcare and education for Service children and young people overseas is contained in JSP 342 Education of Service Children and Young People. Supporting guidance is available at the DCYP Homepage on

Further information can also be found in EJSU Standing Order 123 on Education including how to apply for funding.

MOD School Locations

In overseas locations where the number and age profile of Service children justify it, the MOD will provide dedicated schools.
The role of MOD schools is to provide an educational service to meet the needs of Dependant Service children, including the children of MOD UK based civilians and sponsored organisations serving outside the UK which, as far as possible, conforms in type, scope and standard to that required by the Education Acts in England (and considers developments in the education systems of the Devolved Administrations). Whilst MOD schools can support a range of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND), complex specialist needs cannot always be met within the school or the overseas location. When applying to a MOD school, parents will therefore need to declare children with SEND. Full details of MOD school provision and the application process is accessed at DCYP’s site.

Non-MOD School Locations

In overseas locations without MOD schools (or without MOD Schools catering for the required stage of education) local education provision may be accessed, if suitable. In non-English-speaking locations (or English-speaking locations without suitable state provision) personnel may make use of private education provision. In some overseas locations there may be no suitable education provision, state or private. Further guidance is accessed at DCYP’s site.

The Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS)

CEAS contains, or has access to, a wide range of educational expertise to provide information, advice and support related to the education of Service children. This information, advice and support is available to Service families and eligible MOD civilians, the MOD chain of command at all levels, schools and local authorities, other Government Departments and the Devolved Administrations. Detailed guidance on CEAS is accessed at DCYP’s site.

Overseas Supportability

In accordance with Defence policy laid out in JSP 770 Ch 2A (Welfare), Service parents are to use the MOD’s Assessment of Supportability Overseas process which local Commands will use to assess needs prior to and, where needs emerge, during a posting. For children entering MOD Schools, individual schools hold the responsibility for issuing Educational Clearance certificates prior to arrival. For Non-MOD School, DCYP hold the responsibility to assess needs as part of the overseas clearing process.16 CO EJSU retains the overall decision as to supportability in EJSU locations. For International fee paying schools, where DCYP require CoC support to issue an Educational Clearance Certificate, this can be made to EJSU J1 via HoL on an EJSU Pers Request Form. Further details can be found in EJSU Standing Order 123 on Education.

Limitations of Local Education Provision

It is unlikely that overseas schools will follow the English National Curriculum taught in local authority schools in England and some subjects, including those that are compulsory under the English National Curriculum, may not be available. The syllabus, teaching approach or coverage may also be very different. In addition, National Curriculum assessments and tests may not be offered. There may also be variation in the ages that children start formal education. In some countries, this may not be until aged 6 or 7. Where schools overseas work towards different examinations and qualifications, parents should be prepared to consider the option of their children attending a boarding school in the UK. The potential difficulties for a student about to commence, or in the middle of, an examination course transferring back to the UK from the education system of another country, cannot be overstated. Consequently, boarding (either in UK state or independent boarding schools) is recommended for children who would otherwise be returning to the British system in the four years prior to national examinations.

Elective Home Education (EHE)

The authority for endorsing EHE sits with the CoC IAW DCYP Directive 3.2.17 EHE Overseas. However, EHE will not be allowed in EJSU supported locations if:

During screening a child is found to be unsupportable educationally for the MoD School or DCYP approved International School. Where a child is found to be unsupportable for a MoD School or a DCYP approved International School in location, they are considered unsupportable for all other schools in location.

That the CofC cannot undertake its Safeguarding responsibilities with respect to JSP 834.

That the CofC cannot satisfy itself with the written advice from DCYP that the proposed education meets the needs of the child.

That the child has dropped out of both boarding school and the locally provided MoD or International School during the assignment.

Critical Stage of Education. Advice should be sought from DCYP as part of the Educational Clearance Process. Where DCYP require CoC support to issue an Educational Clearance Certificate, this can be made to EJSU J1 via HoL on an EJSU Pers Request Form. Further details can be found in EJSU Standing Order 123 on Education.


The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO – sub-units ESG, European Support Group, and LMS, Land Management Services) is responsible for the acquisition, management and disposal of the MOD accommodation portfolio of Overseas Service Families Accommodation (OSFA) in Europe (exc. Cyprus and Gibraltar) and Turkey. For Europe and Turkey, most accommodation for families is provided as Substitute Service Families Accommodation (SSFA) leased from the local property market.

For unaccompanied and single Service Personnel, accommodation is provided as Substitute Single Service Accommodation (SSSA), where there is no availability of Single Living Accommodation (SLA) at the Duty Station.

SSSA is also leased from the local property market and is based upon either a one-bedroom flat, or in some locations a room in shared accommodation according to entitlement. There may be variations in the size, type, number of rooms and layout of accommodation provided for SSFA and SSSA between locations subject to market conditions and value for money considerations, and accommodation may not match the exact requirements to entitlement set out in the JSPs due to variations in market conditions and country specific construction tradition, design and practice.

Some ISODETS are provided with accommodation under the Overseas Rent Allowance (ORA) Scheme which is not administered or supported by DIO.

DIO allocates accommodation in accordance with JSP 464 which is based on entitlement. However, elements of JSP 464 policy, where it is specifically stated as applicable to UK only, do not apply overseas. Personnel should also be aware that the standards in JSP 315 are guidelines and not entitlements. There are differences between what you may be entitled to and what is available in Europe. Personnel should also be aware that they have no automatic right to refuse Overseas Service Family Accommodation (OSFA) allocation.

Where applicants for accommodation refuse an allocation overseas this will require support from their Chain of Command and should be based upon supportable medical/welfare grounds that have been previously disclosed. If an allocation is refused for unsupported reasons this may place the Service Person at risk of being placed outside the provision of accommodation by DIO, and the responsibility for securing and funding accommodation may revert to their commanding unit.

The size and standard of housing within the accommodation portfolio is acquired, as far as possible, in accordance with JSP 464 and is always subject to UK safety regulations and country specific building standards, legislation and market forces. DIO aspire to source accommodation near to to other accommodation and key facilities, but accommodation may not always be located close to other personnel, work, schools or local facilities and public transport. Accommodation may be located within a 15km radius of the Duty Station or up to 45 minutes travel distance by public transport where market conditions affect the availability of accommodation in certain locations. For example the Duty Station may be located in a semi-rural location with no settlements in the immediate vicinity, or accommodation close to the base may be in short supply where we are competing with other nations to lease suitable properties or not be of a suitable type or condition to meet DIO requirements.

In order to apply for DIO provided accommodation in EJSU supported areas a MOD Form 1132 should be submitted, immediately after issue of an AO, to the DIO Housing Allocation Clerk in SHAPE, who will guide personnel through the housing allocation process – contact details are at Annex C. The provision of accommodation stores/furniture is the responsibility of DIO and will be undertaken in accordance with local DIO policy. The DIO Overseas CAAS team are responsible for the grading of properties using the CAAS system. Personnel are not to undertake physical moves of furniture nor give notice to vacate either public or private accommodation in UK, or their current unit, until such time as a formal allocation letter for SSFA/SSSA has been issued at the overseas location.

Surplus accommodation or storage is generally not available in any of the EJSU supported locations. Where a Non-availability form is issued when DIO cannot provide accommodation to meet the AO date, the SP only may be expected to occupy hotel accommodation at the overseas location, with all Dependants expected to remain in the accommodation that is being occupied in the current location. In addition, extended overlap of outgoing and incoming personnel to posts cannot be supported in EJSU locations overseas.

Social Work Services

EJSU aim to ensure that NATO and EUMS SP, and supported UK Based Civilians (UKBC) and their entitled Dependants (where practicable), have access to equitable welfare provision to those who serve in the UK. As such, CO EJSU endeavours to replicate the services of those provided by the Local Authorities (Social Services) in the UK wherever practicable and manageable within the EJSU AOR. However, both SP and UKBC’s have a responsibility to ensure that family needs can be met, before they deploy overseas as the impact of an unsupportable accompanied assignment cannot be overestimated; whether the outcome is the need to return the SP, UKBC and their entitled family back to the UK or the cancellation of an assignment at potentially short notice. Those with complex on-going Welfare or previous or current Social Services issues should not be assigned to units in the EJSU AOR. Community and other facilities are provided where possible.


All personnel assigned to the EJSU AOR are to arrive in date for Single Service (sS) fitness test and annual competencies. Personnel are reminded to bring certificates of completion from all mandatory on-line training courses in order to avoid repeating the course on assignment.

Personnel assigned to a NATO post holding a readiness state R1-R5 will be expected to be held at readiness from their first day in post. Therefore, personnel should arrange to complete the following training before assigned date.

Royal Naval and Army personnel are to have completed MATTs 1-9

Royal Air Force personnel are to have completed IRT Lv 3

Personnel who are unable to complete the above before assignment date are to contact the Joint European Training Team (JETT) in order to enrol on the NATO Military Skills Course (NMSC). This is a 1-week course held at SHAPE. NSE can advise on the unit’s readiness profile.

JETT Clk +32 65445274


Some remote locations in the EJSU AOR have no Service provided accommodation and therefore there may be additional allowances paid such as ORA, Overseas Furniture Provision Scheme payments and Small Stations Local Overseas Allowance. SP should contact the relevant Head of NSE to determine whether this affects them.


Personnel planning to bring family pets with them to EJSU supported locations are to be aware that they will need to comply with local law as well as UK regulations in taking their pets abroad and then back to the UK. They are also to be aware that not all SFA provided in Europe and Turkey is suitable for large pets. Advice is to be sought from the NSE administering their proposed assignment location.

Frequently Asked Questions
I am assigned to a NATO position but I am expecting to attend a short courses either after my assignment can I leave my family in location while I attend the course?

There is no ability to leave your family in location when you are not assigned to a NATO position. This is because your legal status in country is linked to your registration with the host nation. Similar requests for EO, LO and DA staff should be made directly to the sS.

A member of my family has disabilities/special needs, what should I do?

This is not a barrier to service overseas but you will need to discuss your requirements with various agencies well in advance of your report for duty date. it is strongly advised that you contact DIO to ensure that they can meet your needs, particularly where special modifications to SFA are required. Other things to consider are schooling and Medical clearance.

I have applied for Educational Clearance from CEAS and I have been informed my child will be in a critical stage of education. Can my assignment go ahead?

A critical stage of education is defined as being within 3 years of a public examination, usually GCSE and A-Level or their equivalent25. If your child(ren) are in a critical stage of education, then for reasons of continuity you will need to apply to your respective Manning Authority for an extension to your assignment before you arrive. Where an assignment length does not cover the period of critical stage of education you will be liable to the international school fees if you wish to retain their child in the overseas school if sS do not agree to fund your additional stay. You may also have to source your own housing and your family may not have access to full allowances, tax-free entitlements and may not be bale to retain the normal UK provided support such as medical and dental. Any request from EJSU for a statement supporting your applicational for Educational Clearance in these circumstances should be made via NSEs on an EJSU Pers Request Form. Further details can be found in EJSU Standing Order 123 on Education.

My spouse can’t drive/ is a nervous driver. Is it advisable that I come overseas?

This will depend on your own domestic situation but this is not a barrier to coming overseas. Instead, careful consideration will need to be given to the practical requirements of travel in the host country. For example, in many locations there is no school transport to/from school and Dependents have struggled to meet these requirements where they also have younger non-school age children. Moreover, if you are deployed your family may become immobile unless they are located near to transport infrastructure. In some locations the inability to drive will have a considerable impact on quality of life and advice should be sought from NSEs. Personnel should also be mindful that some schools are located in excess of 60 minutes from location which may necessitate up to 4 hours driving per day.

I am due to go outside the Service at the end of my assignment. Are there any special arrangements in place for me?

You need to be aware of the limitations regarding access to resettlement facilities compared to resettling from the UK. Although there is a resettlement Clerk at SHAPE, they take their direction from the Resettlement Office in Woolwich who is the focal point for all personnel requiring advice and guidance in the EJSU AOR. JSP 534 – The Tri-Service Resettlement and Employment Support Manual in particular, Part 1 Directive -3.3- Timing of resettlement activities and Part 2 Guidance – 5 Travel and Subsistence Allowances 5.4 Overseas all apply.

It should be further noted that the only facility to de-kit overseas is at SHAPE. Travel at public expense to SHAPE to de-kit is not authorised. EJSU J4 will accept kit from NATO pers at SHAPE or those visiting for authorised purposes (NMSC etc). Unless it can be coincided with another visit however, Service Personnel are to de-kit in the UK. Again, travel at public expense is not authorised to the UK to de-kit. Unless evidence to the contrary can be produced then it is deemed that any decision to TX overseas is a personal choice and does not abrogate the responsibility of the Service Person to properly de-kit.

One of my children is over 24 years old and not in full-time education studying for a first degree, can they accompany me overseas?

Children in this position are not considered to be full Dependents. If you do wish to them accompany you then this requires careful consideration. As they are not regarded as Dependants they are not entitled to the full range of support. You should consult NSEs and EJSU Standing Orders for further information. However, you should also be mindful that you will not be allocated a larger house to accommodate them and often they will be required to register with the local authority if they want to get a job in the host nation. Depending on which country you are being assigned, they may be required to have their own health insurance, be required to register in the host nation and will not have the same access and entitlements as full Dependents. Onus is on the Service Person to make all necessary arrangements to comply with host nation rules.

I want to apply for surplus SFA and bring my long-term partner overseas. Is this possible?

possible? Although MOD now recognises long term partners the policy allowing you to apply for surplus SFA is not applicable overseas. This is because long term partners are not recognised under the NATO SOFA Agreement. Furthermore, housing in EJSU location is rented from the local market and provided as SSFA and any “surplus” housing should be handed back to the landlord when no longer needed. There is nothing stopping you finding your own accommodation in country but there is no support available to long term partners and it is the SP’s responsibility to ensure they comply with host nation countries as your partner will have no legal status based on your NATO position.

My husband/wife/civil partner will keep her job and spend their time between the UK and my assignment country. Is this possible?

It is strongly recommended that you seek guidance from NSEs on your Accompanied status if you have a spouse/civil partner working away from your assignment station either temporarily or permanently. If you partner spends more than 90 days in a given year away from the family home, you may be deemed to be Unaccompanied and be required to move accommodation. This could also affect entitlement to a range of allowances including Continuity of Education Allowance (CEA), GYH(O) and LOA and some allowances may have to be recovered. You have an obligation to state clearly any changes to your circumstances which may affect pay and allowances. You are also strongly advised to obtain written evidence of any advice that you are given on such matters.

One of my Dependents has been declared a Unsupportable, can I still serve overseas?

Should a Service Persons’ family members be declared unsupportable both before or during your assignment then you may elect to serve VOLSEP for the duration of your tour. EJSU would however discourage this course of action as unaccompanied service may place undue pressure on a family where both parents may be required to provide care and support to the family member declared unsupportable.

NSE Contacts

Albacete – parented by Torrejon.

Head NSE
Mil: 9233 244 2506
Civ: +31 45 526 2506
E-mail: EJSU-Brunssum-Head-NSE /

Head NSE
Civ: +32 2707 7591
E-mail: EJSU-Brussels-Head-NSE /

Head NSE
Civ: +90 232 411 1687
E-mail: EJSU-Izmir-Head-NSE

Head NSE
Civ: +90 212 276 2696
E-mail: EJSU-Istanbul-Head-NSE

Latina – Parented by Naples

Lille – Parented by the ISODET Spt Cell

Head NSE
Civ: +351 21440 4314
E-mail: EJSU-Lisbon-Head-NSE

Head NSE
Civ: +39 0331 329300
E-mail: EJSU-Milan-Head-NSE /

Head NSE
Civ: +39 081721 2536
E-mail: EJSU-Naples-Head-NSE /

Head NSE
Civ: +39 081 721 2531
E-mail: EJSU-Poggio-Head-NSE /

Head NSE
Mil: 9205 606 258 1402
Civ: +49 6371 40 1402
E-mail: EJSU-Ramstein-Head-NSE /

Mil: 9205 423 5221
Civ: +32 65 44 5221

Head NSE
Mil: 9233325 2060
Civ: +47 5134 2060
E-mail: EJSU-Stavanger-Head-NSE /

Head NSE
Civ: +34 919 073 164
E-Mail: EJSU-Torrejon-Head-NSE /

Head NSE
Civ: +49 282 3419 0837
E-Mail: EJSU-Goch-Head-NSE /

Head NSE
Civ: +49 731 3885 9015
E-Mail: /

Head NSE
Mil: 9205 423 2659
Civ: 0032 6544 2659 Email: EJSU-ISODETSpCell-Hd /

Link to Supportability DIN

Link to 2020DIN01-137


Supportability Check List – To be completed after you have completed all other paperwork and checks