Travelling has become far more complicated for both travellers and border agents since the start of the COVID pandemic.
With rules changing on a regular basis, it is the individuals responsibility to ensure they have the correct documentation for their journey.
It is important to have a good understanding of the rules pertinent to each leg of your journey, as you may need to challenge border security in their interpretation of the rules. A good example being the incorrect stamping of Passports by French Border officials where a traveller may be transiting France to reach their country of residence.
Many of the forms such as Passenger Locator Forms (PLF) will be digital, however we recommend taking hard copies with signatures where possible/relevant.
This advice is for personnel across Europe and as such, every journey will be different.
Below is a suggested checklist of documentation you may need:
(this list is not exhaustive)
- Passport – In date with minimum 6 months remaining on expiry date
- Vaccine Passport
- Proof of Negative COVID Test – Ensure you check the country specific requirements. I.e. PCR or LFD, is it required <72 or <48 hours prior to arrival etc.
- Proof of 2 & 8 Tests booking (UK) – DAN18 Annex E for tests ordered through the COVID Cell.
- NATO Travel Order / NATO Enclosure One
- State Of Forces Agreement (SOFA) Stamp or Visa
- Proof of Residency in your Host Nation. i.e. NIE (Spain), Protocol ID (Belgium) etc.
- Flight/Train/Eurotunnel/Ferry booking details
- Flight/Train/Eurotunnel/Ferry COVID forms specifically issued by the company. Examples:
- Declaration forms for outbound and return journeys
- Passenger Locator Forms
- A List of Duty phone numbers should you encounter friction at a border
- Vehicle documentation (V5, Insurance)
Travellers are urged to exhaust the travel websites listed below before seeking advice from the EJSU COVID Working Group.
Below is the latest travel guidance compiled with information from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), Re-open EU European Union Web Site and host nation sources.